Visit-a-Church
Key Image Llandaff Cathedral/Eglwys Gadeiriol Llandaf
Cathedral Close
CF5 2LA Cardiff/Caerdydd
United Kingdom
Denomination: Anglican
Congregation: Llandaff Cathedral/Eglwys Gadeiriol Llandaf (Diocese of Llandaff)
Geogr. Coordinates: 51.49573° N, 3.21781° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1120
Architectural style: Gothic
Building type: Basilica
Description: Gothic basilica with remains of the Romanesque structures, twin tower façade on the west side, modern chapel attached to the north, Romanesque chapter house to the south
Name derivation: From the location of the churchyard (Welsh “llan”) on the river Taff
Noteworthy
  • Frieze with the heads of the British monarchs (William Clarke, 1860; continued since)
Altar
  • Altar screen in the Lady Chapel dating from the 14th cent., each case decorated with a flower, whose Welsh name is related to St Mary (gilded bronze; Frank Roper, 1964)
Pulpit
  • Pulpit by George Pace (1957)
Font
  • Font of Hoptonwood limestone (Alan Durst, 1952) with wooden cover
Organ
  • Built in 2008–2013 by Nicholson & Co Ltd, Malvern; 4,870 pipes, 77 stops
Noteworthy
  • Pre-Raphaelite triptychon (Dante Gabriel Rossetti, 1864)
  • Ceramic relief “The Six Days of Creation” (design Edward Coley Burne-Jones, execution Della Robbia Pottery, Birkenhead, 1893–1906)
  • Screen with parabolic arch and cylindrical organ case (design George Pace), figure of Christ (“majestas”) of cast aluminium (Jacob Epstein, 1957)
History:
560:   Traditional first foundation of a cathedral by St Teilo
1120:   Construction of the current cathedral started by Bishop Urban
1170:   Construction of the Norman south portal
Mid- 14th cent.:   Extensive rework in the “Decorated Gothic” style including construction of wide arches around the chancel for improved lighting
Late 15th cent.:   Restoration works in the wake of the insurgence by Owain Glyndŵr, including construction of the north west tower in 1485
1736:   Start of a neoclassical restoration to save the cathedral from delapidation (architect John Wood the Elder)
1844:   Start of a 25-year period of comprehensive restoration works (architects T. H. Wyatt, John Prichard and John Seddon)
02/01/1941:   Severe damage by a land mine during World War II
10/04/1957:   Reopening of the nave after eight years of reconstruction (architects Charles Nicholson and George Pace)
06/08/1960:   Reconsecration in the presence of Queen Elizabeth II
2007:   Near complete destruction of the organ by a bolt of lightning
03/04/2010:   Inauguration of the new organ
Important persons:
Architect:  Pace, George Gaze (1915–1975, English architect, specialised in ecclesiastical buildings)
Prichard, John (1817–1886, Welsh architect of the Gothic Revival)
Artist:  Rossetti, Gabriel Charles Dante (1828–1882, British poet, painter and translator, co-founder of the Pre-Raphaelite Brotherhood)
Burne-Jones, Edward Coley (1833–1898, British artist and designer of the Pre-Raphaelite movement)
Morris, William (1834–1896, British painter, architect, poet, craftsman, engineer and printer; one of the founders of the Arts and Crafts Movement)
Bishop:  Teliavus (Welsh “Teilo”, c. 500–560/580, founder of a monastery, abbot, bishop of Llandaff near Cardiff and of Llandeilo Fawr)
Sources
N. A. J.: The History of Llandaff Cathedral, Cardiff 2010
Wikipedia: Llandaff Cathedral, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Llandaff_Cathedral, retrieved 06/02/2018
© 2021
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0