Visit-a-Church
Key Image Eglwys Llandegwnning
LL53 7SP Pwllheli (Llandegwning)
United Kingdom
Denomination: Deconsecrated
Geogr. Coordinates: 52.83993° N, 4.57558° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1840
Building type: Single-nave church
Description: Victorian single-nave church, oriented towards the north east, with a polygonal tower at the south west side
Name derivation: From St Gwynin
Font
  • Circular stone font (13th/14th cent.)
Noteworthy
  • Various stone slabs from the predecessor church, including one for a Jane Jones (d. 1721)
History:
1534:   First written account of the predecessor church (not yet mentioned in the church listing from 1254)
12/12/1838:   In a letter the Rev. Robert Jones laments the delapidated state of the church
1840:   Completion of the current church (Architect John Welch) at a projected cost of £ 210 : 2 : 6 according to the letter by Rev. Jones
1900:   Renovation
1923:   Abolishment of the parish of Llandegwn(n)ing
About 1960:   Use for services ends
2001:   Foundation of the company of the Friends of the Church of Llandegwnning (“Cyfeillion Eglwys Llandegwnning”) in response to the planned sale of the church; the Friends secure a 999 year lease for the church and the adjacent churchyard
Aug 2005:   Reopening of the church as a heritage centre
Important persons:
Patron:  Gwynin (Welsh Saint, fl. in the mid-6th cent.)
Sources
Cyfeillion Eglwys Llandegwnning: Eglwys Llandegwning, information boards in the church
Williams, John Dilwyn: Eglwys Llandegwnning (information leaflet in Welsh)
© 2020
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0