Visit-a-Church
Key Image Lindisfarne Priory
Holy Island
TD15 2RX Berwick-upon-Tweed (Holy Island)
United Kingdom
Denomination: (in ruins)
Geogr. Coordinates: 55.66931° N, 1.80092° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1125
Architectural style: Romanesque
Building type: Basilica
Description: Romanesque basilica with transept and (originally) tower over the crossing, central apse and two lateral apses.
Name derivation: From the island, where the priory is located
Building material
  • Locally quarried, fine-grained rose-coloured sandstone
  • Partially heavy honeycomb weathering
Noteworthy
  • Decorated, Durham-style columns
  • “Rainbow Arch” (crossing arch)
History:
635:   Foundation of the first monastery
710:   Writing of the “Lindisfarne Gospels“ starts due to the emerging cult of St Cuthbert (completed 725)
About 1150:   Completion of the romanesque basilica by monks from Durham after a 25-year construction period
14th cent.:   Fortification of the monastery and the church
1537:   Dissolution of the monastery
1780:   End of use, followed by dilapidation
Important persons:
Cleric:  Cuthbert of Lindisfarne (634–687, monk, prior of Lindisfarne 670–687, bishop from 685)
Dimensions:
Length [m]:  50
Nave Height [m]:  30
Sources
English Heritage: Lindisfarne Priory, 2010
© 2025
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0