Visit-a-Church
Key Image St Sepulchre
Holborn Viaduct
EC1A 2DQ London (City of London)
United Kingdom
Denomination: Anglican
Congregation: St. Sepulchre with Christ Church, Greyfriars etc. (Diocese of London, Archdeaconry of London, The City)
Geogr. Coordinates: 51.5167° N, 0.1022° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1137
Description: Three-aisled hall church spanning several architectural periods; west tower. Seat of the Royal School of Church Music.
Name derivation: From the Church of the Holy Sepulchre in Jerusalem, since like the latter the church is situated outside the north-west city gate.
Organ
  • Built in the 17th cent. by Renatus Harris (with an extraordinarily beautiful organ case)
Windows
  • Memorial window for Sir Henry Wood, who learnt playing the organ in this church and is buried in the Musicians’ Chapel
History:
11th cent.:   Anglo-Saxon precursor building dedicated to St Edmund
1137:   First mention of the current church
15th cent.:   Comprehensive rebuilding by Sir John Popham (including the current south porch)
1671:   Completion of the restoration after the Great Fire (begun in 1667)
19th cent.:   Rebuilt to Victorian taste
Important persons:
Congregation member:  Wood, Henry Joseph (1869–1944, English conductor, co-founder of the London Proms (“promenade concerts“))
Grabmal:  Smith, John (1580-1631, Abenteurer und Gründer von Jamestown, der ersten dauerhaften englischen Siedlung in Nordamerika)
Organ builder:  Harris, Renatus (1652–1724, English master organ builder)
Dimensions:
Length [m]:  45
Sources
Bradley, Simon, Nikolaus Pevsner: London: The City Churches, Yale University Press, New Haven/London 2002, pp. 124–126
Tucker, Tony: City of London Churches, Guidelines Books, Stoke-on-Trent 2013, pp. 88–89
© 2020
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0