Visit-a-Church
Key Image St Cuthbert and St Oswald
HG4 3NR Winksley
United Kingdom
Denomination: Anglican
Congregation: Fountains (Anglican Diocese of Leeds, Archdeaconry of Richmond and Craven, Deanery of Ripon)
Geogr. Coordinates: 54.1365° N, 1.61515° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1917
Architectural style: Gothic Revival
Building type: Pseudo-basilica
Description: Pseudo-basilica with a high nave and low and narrow side aisles in the Gothic Revival (Perpendicular) style with a square west tower
Name derivation: From the English saints Cuthbert and Oswald
Building material
  • Walls of white sandstone from nearby Cat Crag Quarry, roofed with Yorkshire stone slates, nave floor from Hopton Wood stone (Derbyshire), chancel and sanctuary floor from white Pentilicon marble; oak wood beams (carving by Robert Bridgeman, Lichfield); re-use of some stones from the 1502 church (already re-used in the church from 1822)
Bells
  • Four bells cast in 1915 by John Taylor & Co., Loughborough
Pulpit
  • From Italian marble by Messrs Farmer and Brindley, London
Font
  • From Italian marble by Messrs Farmer and Brindley, London, dedicated to the memory of Christopher, first Baron Furness
Organ
  • Built by Abbot and Smith, Leeds
History:
1266:   First written record of a chapel in Winksley
1504:   Chapel rebuilt and dedicated to St Cuthbert and St Oswald based on a permission given to the abbot of Fountains Abbey in 1502
1822:   Replacement of the chapel by a single-nave church with chancel at a cost of £ 650
1881:   Renewal of the flooring, redesign and renovation of the interior (further work in 1900)
12/11/1913:   Vestry meeting accepts an offer by Lady Jane Furness of Grantley Hall to pay for a new church in memory of her late husband, Christopher
May 1914:   Demolition of the old church and start of construction of the current church (architects Connon and Chorley, builders Messrs Armitage & Hodgson of Leeds)
15/05/1917:   Consecration by the Bishop of Ripon
Important persons:
Patron:  Oswald (of Northumbria) (c 604–642, king of Northumbria, promoter of Christianity in Northumbria)
Cuthbert of Lindisfarne (634–687, monk, prior of Lindisfarne 670–687, bishop from 685)
Sources
British Listed Buildings: Church of St Cuthbert and St Oswald – A Grade II Listed Building in Winksley, North Yorkshire, https://britishlistedbuildings.co.uk/101150588-church-of-st-cuthbert-and-st-oswald-winksley, retrieved 04/09/2022
Crauford Murray, W. R., Brenda Bell: The Church of St. Cuthbert and St. Oswald Winksley – A Brief History and Description, The Churchwardens of St. Cuthbert and St. Oswald, Winksley
riponandleedsbells.org.uk: Winksley St Cuthbert and St Oswald SE 252713, http://www.riponandleedsbells.org.uk/winksley.htm, retrieved 04/09/2022
© 2023
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0