Visit-a-Church
Key Image St Alfege
Greenwich Church Street
SE10 9BJ London (Greenwich)
United Kingdom
Denomination: Anglican
Congregation: Greenwich, St. Alfege (Diocese of Southwark, Archdeaconry of Lewisham and Greenwich, Charlton Deanery)
Geogr. Coordinates: 51.48048° N, 0.00966° W
Geo Location
Reference year: 1718
Architectural style: Baroque
Building type: Single-nave church
Description: Baroque single-nave church with side galleries and a bell tower of the west entrance
Name derivation: From St Ælfheah (Alfege)
Organ
  • Built in 1953
Windows
  • Stained glass window behind the altar showing the Risen Christ (1953)
Noteworthy
  • Cross of Nails in the “Children’s Chapel“
History:
About 1290:   Construction of the predecessor church as a replacement for an older church on the site of St Alfege’s martyrdom
1491:   Henry VIII baptized in St Alfege
28/11/1710:   Predecessor church collapses during a storm
1712:   Construction of the current church starts (architect Nicholas Hawksmoor)
1714:   Mostly completed
1718:   Consecration
1730:   New exterior modelling of the tower by John James
19/03/1941:   Damaged by incendiary bombs during World War II
1953:   Reconstruction (architect Albert Richardson)
Important persons:
Architect:  Hawksmoor, Nicholas (1661–1736, English architect)
Patron:  Ælfheah of Canterbury (953–1012, archbishop of Canterbury, martyr (also called Alphage, Alphege, Elphege, Godwine))
Sources
St Alfege Church: A short history of St Alfege Church, Greenwich (information leaflet)
Wikipedia: St Alfege Church, Greenwich, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Alfege_Church,_Greenwich, retrieved 26/02/2020
© 2023
TuK Bassler
CC-BY-SA 4.0